Saturday 12 March 2011

Sliding door stow away table

Inspired by the Avalanche Surf Bus I wanted to design and build my own stow away table, but attach it to the sliding door instead. I have been working on this for a little while, and whilst it is almost there I will need to rethink my design.

I already have one table which serves the back seats. This one stows away behind the rear frame of the Rib Seats and therefore blocks the frame off when you open the boot.

The stow away table attaches to a swing leg, which itself is stowed down the side of the Rib Seats, and this is to provide a table for the front seats.

I constructed a panel, with a cut-out for the bracket on the back of the table, for the sliding door. This allows the table to fit as flush as possible, but the sliding still does quite fully open without the table rubbing against the wheel arch.

For the table do I:

- use 6mm ply rather than the 9mm I am currently using?
- use aluminium (or similar) which would be thinner

Both these options would pose a new issue of how to attach the swing leg table bracket to the back of the table without bolting right through the table.

Watch this space.

3 comments:

  1. I really like that idea for the stow away table in the door. Can you not just make a deeper hole in the panel - even go through it completely and then back only the hole with 3mm backing board or even stiff cardboard covered in fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about 6mm formica compact drilled through with counter sunk stainless steel bolts ....
    you might get an offcut from cubicle fitters
    where did you get the support leg from ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, hope you don't mind me asking, but where can I buy the same offset leg? I can only find a flimsier looking version by Cak Tanks for £70, but like you I would like to fit a long table top with the bracket in the corner and the leg fixed to the B pillar, and I'm concerned it will flex too much to be usable.
    Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete