Wednesday 7 March 2012

Redruth and Llandovery

I realised I haven't posted about the last two trips.

During the last week of January I spent five days in Redruth. I stayed at Radnor Golf Club CL site and it is an ideal base for touring the area. You have access to the clubhouse (small but serves meals and has a licensed bar), and the shower block is fine - although it doesn't open until 8am. I was there to visit some of the Cornish Mining World Heritage Sites, and one of the best, Wheal Peevor, is a five minute walk from the site - well worth a visit.

Mid Feb I stayed at a CL site in Cilycwm, just north of Llandovery. It's a beautiful spot, or so the farmer assured me. I arrived after dark and a mist had gathered by morning. There was no phone or TV reception, so that hints at the remoteness. There is a also a really nice little Forestry Commission Wales site a mile up the road - Cwm Rhaeadr. It has short walks, plus a 4 mile mountain biking single track course. I had an early morning walk around it and saw a Buzzard drinking from a pond. I also came away with some nice wildlife recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment